CASES, SANCTIONS AND CLAIMS
- (2019, Mar) ICO (UK) fined the Vote Leave Limited organisation 40,000 £ for sending out thousands on unsolicited text messages during the UK Brexit referendum campaign.
- (2019, May) The Belgian DPA applied its first financial penalty based on the GDPR – approx. 2,000 Eur on on issues regarding the processing of personal data for political purposes.
- (2019, Oct) Facebook and ICO reach an agreement regarding the use of personal data in political campaigns.
- (2019, Nov) The EDPS investigates European Parliament’s 2019 election activities.
- (2020, Jan) The European Court of Human Rights hears case against Hungary on the topic of freedom of expression, in the context of a political party’s mobile app which allowed voters to photograph, upload and comment on invalid votes cast during a 2016 referendum (read here the press release).
- (2020, Jun) Belgian Data Protection Authority imposed a fine of €5.000 on a candidate in local elections for using the staff registry of a municipality to send election propaganda (in the form of a letter) to staff members.
REPORTS AND ARTICLES FROM OTHER ORGANISATIONS
- (2020, Jan) The Guardian: Fresh Cambridge Analytica leak ‘shows global manipulation is out of control’.
- (2020, Jul) Panopticon: Parliaments and the GDPR.
OFFICIAL GUIDELINES, REPORTS AND STATEMENTS
- (2018, Mar) EDPS: Opinion no. 3/2018 on online manipulation and personal data (pdf).
- Irish DPC: Elections and canvassing: Data Protection and Electronic Marketing – the data protection rights of individuals
- (2019, Mar) EDPB: Statement on the use of personal data in the course of political campaigns.
- (2019, Apr) Italian DPA: rules on processing personal data in the context of political campaigns.
- (2020, Jan) Irish DPC blog: Data Protection on the Campaign Trail.
- (2020, Sept) Romanian DPA (ANSPDCP): recommendations on personal data procession during the election campaign (the official press release is available here only in Romanian).