OFFICIAL GUIDELINES, REPORTS AND STATEMENTS
- (2018) European Commission appoints High-Level Expert Group on Artificial Intelligence.
- (2018, Nov) The International Working Group on Data Protection in Telecommunications (the Berlin Group) adopted a Working Paper on Privacy and Artificial Intelligence (direct download link).
- ICO (UK) Blog on AI: Accuracy of AI system outputs and performance measures.
- (2019) European Commission: Intellectual Property and Artificial Intelligence – A literature review.
- (2019, Apr) European Commission: Ethical guidelines for trustworthy AI.
- (2019, May) Michèle Finck: Smart contracts as a form of solely automated processing under the GDPR.
- (2019, Jun) The Law Society (UK): Algorithm use in the criminal justice system report.
- (2019, Jul) UK Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation: interim reports for online targeting and bias in algorithmic decision-making.
- (2019, Sep) UK Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation: first series of snapshot papers on AI (deepfakes, AI and insurance, smart speakers).
- (2019, Oct) Latin American and Spanish DPAs Issue Joint Statement On Data Processing And Artificial Intelligence.
- (2020) European Commission – JRC Paper: Historical Evolution of Artificial Intelligence.
- (2020, Jan) EDPB: response to MEP Sophie in’t Veld’s letter on unfair algorithms.
- (2020, Feb) Spanish DPA: English version of rules for compliance of processing that embeds Artificial Intelligence (direct download).
- (2020, Mar) European Parliament: study which deals with the ethical implications and moral questions that arise from the development and implementation of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies.
- (2020, Apr) The Hambach Declaration on Artificial Intelligence has been adopted on April 3rd
by German Conference of Independent Federal and state data protection
authorities. An unofficial translation into English has been made
available by the Belgian Data Protection Authority here.
- (2020, Jun) EDPS: Opinion 4/2020 on the European Commission’s White Paper on Artificial Intelligence – A European approach to excellence and trust.
- (2020, Jun) European Parliament study on “The impact of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on artificial intelligence”.
- (2020, Jul) ICO (UK): Guidance on Artificial Intelligence and data protection.
- (2020, Sep) European Commission: Study on the use of innovative technologies in the justice field.
- ICO (UK): paper on Big data, artificial intelligence, machine learning and data protection.
- Norwegian Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation: The National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence.
- (2020) European Commission, Joint Research Centre: Robustness and Explainability of Artificial Intelligence. From technical to policy solutions (direct download link).
- (2020, Oct) European Parliament published a Report on intellectual property rights for the development of artificial intelligence technologies.
- (2020, Oct) European Commission published a document concerning Algorithms and Democracy.
CASES, SANCTIONS AND CLAIMS
- (2019, Aug) Google Home Speech Assistant under scrutiny by the Hamburg DPA for concerns about employees and contractors listening in on private recordings.
- (2020, Feb) A Dutch court stops an automated surveillance system based on AI which was used for detecting welfare fraud because it violates human rights.
REPORTS AND ARTICLES FROM OTHER ORGANISATIONS
- (2017, Apr) MIT: The Dark Secret at the Heart of AI.
- (2018, Feb) ZDNet: What is AI? Everything you need to know about Artificial Intelligence.
- (2018, Dec) Amit Katwala: How to make algorithms fair when you don’t know what they’re doing.
- (2019, Mar) Estonia is working on introducing artificial intelligence in its justice system.
- (2019, May) The Research Service of the German Parliament released an opinion about Amazon Alexa and data protection risks.
- uman Rights Watch unveils algorithm used by Chinese app to categorise and score citizens.
- (2019, May) Carola Spada: The Internet of Emotions: A New Legal Challenge.
- (2019, May) Sandra Wachter (on O’Reilly): Privacy, identity, and autonomy in the age of big data and AI.
- (2019, Jun) Article: A Right to Reasonable Inferences: Re-Thinking Data Protection Law in the Age of Big Data and AI (available at SSRN).
- (2019, Jun) Sandra Wachter: Affinity Profiling and Discrimination by Association in Online Behavioural Advertising.
- (2019, Jul) The Register: Good luck deleting someone’s private info from a trained neural network – it’s likely to bork the whole thing.
- (2020, Jan) Medium: Black-Boxed Politics: Opacity is a Choice in AI Systems.
- (2020, Jan) Future of Privacy Forum publishes its selected award winning papers: “Antidiscriminatory Privacy” and “Algorithmic Impact Assessments under the GDPR”.
- (2020, Feb) Laura Berton: Has the liability issue with AI been resolved?
- (2020, Mar) Alexandra Giannopoulou: Relation between the consent and algorithmic data processing. Algorithmic systems: the consent is in the detail?
- (2020, Mar) Andrew McStay: Emotional AI, soft biometrics and the surveillance of emotional life: An unusual consensus on privacy.
- (2020, Oct) The Washington Post: An artificial intelligence service freely available on the Web has been used to transform more than 100,000 women’s images into nude photos without the women’s knowledge or consent –“Make fantasy a reality”.
- (2020, Jul) High Level Expert Group on AI (AI HLEG) published Sectoral Consideration on the Policy and Investment Recommendations for Trustworthy Artificial Intelligence.
- (2019, Apr) AI Now Institute (New York University) published “Discriminating Systems – Gender, Race, and Power in AI”.
- (2020, Oct) GPA (Global Privacy Assembly) published a report on Working Group on Ethics and Data Protection in Artificial Intelligence.
- IEEE Computer Society Digital Library: Robots, Love and Sex: The Ethics of Building a Love Machine.