CASES, SANCTIONS AND CLAIMS
- The CJEU rules on a case originating from Romania, on the topic of video surveillance systems installed by landlords’ associations (Case C‑708/18). Issues concerning the collection and use of footage from such CCTV systems has also been scrutinized in the recent Romanian DPA fine imposed on a landlord association for improper disclosure of images to unauthorised third parties.
- ICO fines a TV production company for unlawfully filming patients in a maternity clinic.
- The Spanish DPA has imposed a fine of EUR 4,000 on an individual for violation of Art. 5.1 c (data minimization principle) by installing a surveillance camera that could also monitor a public space near their home property.
- The Norwegian DPA announced it imposed a fine of NOK 400,000 (aprox. €38.000) on a municipality for processing personal data for purposes that are incompatible with the original purpose and not deleting camera recordings after seven days (the press release in Norwegian is available here).
- Man allowed appeal at Irish High Court over the use of CCTV cameras in a disciplinary action against him “taking unauthorized breaks and controversial graffiti drawing”.
- Norwegian DPA: Decision to fine The Norwegian Public Roads Administration, for extensive processing of personal data by using fixed road cameras to monitor contract parties, employees, subvendors and the subvendors’ employees.
REPORTS AND ARTICLES FROM OTHER ORGANISATIONS
OFFICIAL GUIDELINES, REPORTS AND STATEMENTS
- EDPB : video surveillance guide.
- Irish DPC: Guidance for Drivers on use of “Dash Cams” – recording with the use of a Dash Cam makes you likely to be a data controller.
- Irish DPC: Guidance on the Use of CCTV – For Data Controllers.
- Spanish DPA: guide which makes an analysis on the data processing operations conducted via drone.
- Irish DPC: Guidance on CCTV in the home.
- French CNIL: finds it excessive to use CCTV in schools for systematic and continuous surveillance.
- Isle of Man Information Commissioner: guiding points on CCTV in various scenarios.
- Surveillance Camera Commissioner (UK): data protection impact assessment template and a guidance in this regard.
- Romanian DPA (interview in RO): Using dash cams is not subject to the GDPR.
- Romanian DPA (interview in RO): Installing a door intercom video system does is not subject to the GDPR.
- German DPAs (DSK): new guidelines on video surveillance (available only in German).