CASES, SANCTIONS AND CLAIMS
- The UK Competition and Markets Authority has just published a final report on their market study into online platforms and digital advertising.
- Irish DPA opens formal investigation into Quantcast regarding the application of the GDPR in the company’s online advertising business, following complaint filed by Privacy International.
- Complaints were filed in four different countries lodged against IAB Europe and Google.
- Irish DPA opens formal investigation into Google Ireland Limited, on the issue of personalised online advertising.
- Italian DPA prohibits sending marketing communications to loyalty cardholders.
- The ICO continues its oversight of real time bidding (RTB) in adtech, as important actors have pledged to resolve issues raised by the authority.
- The Norwegian Consumer Council (Forbrukerrådet) publishes an extensive report on the violation of consumer rights by the online advertising industry.
- The Italian DPA sanctioned a call center with a fine of 2 M€ for unlawful data processing in its role as a data controller.
- The Hellenic DPA imposed sanctions on Renewal Private Medicine Ltd, fining the company for unsolicited marketing calls. You can find the decision, only available in Greek, here.
- The Italian DPA fined Eni gas e luce with 11.5 M Euros for unsolicited telemarketing and activating contracts without request.
- The Italian DPA (Garante) applies a huge fine on a telecom company for unlawful marketing practices.
- A telephone operator company in Italy was fined 0.8 M EUR for unsolicited marketing and violation of the right to withdraw consent, among others.
- The Italian DPA investigated an advertising system which used face recognition technology to analyze demographic aspects regarding the audience and measure the level of satisfaction towards the advertisement, among others.
REPORTS AND ARTICLES FROM OTHER ORGANISATIONS
- IAB Europe and IAB Tech Lab: launched public consultations on the new proposed version of the Transparency & Consent Framework for the digital advertising ecosystem.
- Karolina Iwańska: 10 Reasons Why Online Advertising is Broken.
- James Fenelon: An overview of data sharing in adtech.
- The New York Times: These Ads Think They Know You (this article is about an NYT experiment in targeted ads, where people were targeted with messages containing information on their own profiles).
- Data protection in the B2B Sector in Germany – read this compelling article by reuschlaw.
- Fieldfisher: EU E-marketing requirements. National law consent requirements for sending business-to-consumer (‘B2C’) and business-to-business (‘B2B’) email marketing around Europe.
OFFICIAL GUIDELINES, REPORTS AND STATEMENTS
- ICO (UK): launches campaign to help people be more aware on how they are targeted with online advertising.
- French CNIL: kit for developers, including guidance on using libraries and SDKs provided by third parties.
- Irish DPC: Guide for users about app permission requests.
- Bavarian DPA: FAQ regarding the requirements for WebFonts, Maps, GoogleAnalytics, Facebook Custom Audience (read here an article in English on the topic).
- Irish DPC: guidance on direct marketing and GDPR requirements.
- German DPAs: Consent of the users should be the legal basis for using third party services for online tracking.
ICO (UK): launches consultation on draft direct marketing code of practice.
- Belgian DPA: detailed direct marketing guidelines.
- UK Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation: recommendations aim to make online targeting more accountable, increase transparency, and empower users to take control.
- Irish DPC: guidance that provides answers to some frequently asked questions about the rules which apply to electronic direct marketing.
- ICO (UK): Updated report into adtech and real time bidding.
- EDPB: public consultation on Guidelines 08/2020 on the targeting of social media users.
- ICO Blog: Adtech and the data protection debate – where next?